(June 2, 1920 – October 8, 2022)
An eo-fan, Bob started reading sf in 1933 and was an active fan by 1935. He attended the First Convention in 1936, the first Worldcon in 1939, and Boskone I in 1941. He was co-founder of PSFS and one of the Phillies, as well as part of the Philly slate which challenged the Wollheimists in the FAPA election of 1938 and a member of the committee for Philcon, the 1947 Worldcon.
He founded the Carolina SF Society in Charlotte, NC, in the early 1950s, was a founder of the First Fandom club, a Trustee of WSFA in the 1960s, member of the Washington in '77 Worldcon bid, and for many years was a highly respected huckster, a role he continued by mail-order.
- “A Personal Sense of Wonder” by Madle in Mimosa 27 (December 2001, p. 15).
- Original Member Spotlight feature in Scientifiction: The First Fandom Report (New Series #44, 2nd Quarter, 2015).
- Founding Member article in the October 2015 issue (Volume 74, Number 10) of The National Fantasy Fan.
- Early short biography in Who's Who in Fandom 1940, page 9.
- Bibliography at ISFDB.
- “Robert A. Madle in 1930s Fandom” by FFE, May 27, 2020.
- Video of 2013 interview by Joe Siclari.
- Photo at St. Louiscon, 1969.
- Photo with Frank Pipes, right, at Noreascon 1, 1971.
- Obsequies by Curt Phillips.
- Obituary at File 770.
- Obituary at Locus.
- The Amazing Madle Catalogue
- Cosmos 
- A Fake Fan in London
- Fantasy Fiction Telegram [1936-38) (with others)
- Fantascience Digest
- Fanzine Review (for OMPA)
- Imaginative Fiction  (with others)
- The Meteor (for FAPA)
- PSFS News (some issues)
- The Science Fiction Fan
Awards, Honors and GoHships:
- 1956 -- 1956 Best Feature Writer Hugo nominee
- 1957 -- Knight of St. Fantony, 1957 TAFF Race winner
- 1974 -- Big Heart Award
- 1977 -- SunCon
- 1982 -- Unicon 82
- 1990 -- First Fandom Hall of Fame
- 1996 -- Boskone 33
- 2002 -- Sam Moskowitz Archive Award
- 2012 -- Philcon 2012
|This is a biography page. Please extend it by adding more information about the person, such as fanzines and apazines published, awards, clubs, conventions worked on, GoHships, impact on fandom, external links, anecdotes, etc. See Standards for People and The Naming of Names.|