Now You See It/Him/Them...
The story is heavy with references. Some (like Tucker himself) are tuckerisms -- the deliberate use of the name of a real person without the use of the person's character. Basically a tip of the hat to an acquaintance of the author. Others are enigmatic references to real fans.
Main characters Identified fans __Tuckerizations__
- __Bob and James Adams__: Both of them were tuckerisms of James R. Adams
- Andy: A man with a heavy pointed beard, dark shoulder-length hair "who looked like Santa trying out for a part as D'Artagnan"
- Lt. Betteridge:
- Kay Clarke: 6' Black woman who is a folk singer. Could she be connected to Bev Clark? (See Midwestcon 4)
- Dasam: Alias of James R. Adams
- Mike Decker: On the city desk of the Clarion
- Dickson: Gordy Dickson, who was usually a bit disheveled and a filker. (p129)
- Hector Dupla: Thug
- Dwight: A large man; a mobster
- Elliot: Probably Elliot Shorter who was also a very large man. (p137-138)
- George: George Scithers, who chaired Discon I. "A small man with an efficient military bearing and a boldly checked sports jacket."
- Officer Gilgen:
- __Lamont Grennell__: A tuckerization of Dean Grennell
- Harlow: A boy very much into fanzines
- Jack Hartman: Used to be a literary agent. "Slightly overweight black-haired man...with a booming voice" (p121-125)
- __Walter Hensley__: A Sheriff tracking the bad guys. A tuckerization of Joe Hensley
- Howard: Howard DeVore, a well-known huckster. "A clean-shaven man with a sunburned head"; Balding (p114, 121)
- Hoy Ping: A Chinese restaurant named after Hoy Ping Pong. (p104)
- Joe Karns: The main character. Not obviously anyone.
- Juanita: Juanita Coulson, a filker and wife of one of the authors. (p128)
- Kelly: Kelly Freas who looked pretty much as described in the book. (p128-129)
- "Mary Marvel": A woman in costume named Nikki with a Bronx accent
- __Thompson__: A tuckerism of Donald A. Thompson (the Cleveland one!)
- Bart Trimble: Crime boss
- __Silas Tucke__r: A victim. A tuckerism of Bob Tucker!
- Stu: A fan who overdoes authenticity in costumes (p25)
- Naomi Weiss: Gafiated fan from the Midwest; cheated by Silas Tucker
- Russ Wolfe: Wore Captain Marvel costume to masquerade; Bronx accent; Worked for IBM; Expert on superheroes
|This is a publication page. Please extend it by adding information about when and by whom it was published, how many issues it has had, (including adding a partial or complete checklist), its contents (including perhaps a ToC listing), its size and repro method, regular columnists, its impact on fandom, or by adding scans or links to scans. See Standards for Publications.|