Awarded by Robert Silverberg on August 30, 1965 by Loncon II at a ceremony at Loncon II. To save shipping costs, there was only one Hugo trophy at the convention which each winner got to hold in turn.
Loncon II's categories basically followed those of the previous year's Pacificon II, including the one-year category Best Book Publisher which was never again awarded. However, in its nomination ballots it inadvertently left off Best Dramatic Presentation, apparently taking its list from Pacificon II's final ballot which left off Best Dramatic Presentation due to insufficient nominations. Protests were immediate and write-ins allowed the committee to include Best Dramatic Presentation on the final ballot, albeit with only two nominees.
Loncon II did not release standings after first place, and placed an unusually small number of nominees on the final ballot: 2 in one category, 3 in two more and only 4 in the rest.
- Best Novel: The Wanderer by Fritz Leiber
- Best Short Fiction: "Soldier, Ask Not" by Gordon R. Dickson
- Best Dramatic Presentation: Dr. Strangelove
- Best Professional Magazine: Analog Science Fiction and Fact ed. by John W. Campbell, Jr.
- Best Professional Artist: John Schoenherr
- Best Fanzine: Yandro ed. by Robert Coulson and Juanita Coulson
- Best SF Book Publisher: Ballantine
|This is an award page. If you know something about it, such as who awarded it, who the winners were, what the criteria were, and when it was awarded, please add it! See Standards for Awards.|