(September 13, 1960 --)
A science fiction, fantasy, and horror artist.
Eggleton's drawing and paintings cover a wide range of science fiction, fantasy, and horror topics, depicting space ships, alien worlds and inhabitants, dragons, vampires, and other fantasy creatures. His view on space ships were that they should look organic, and claimed that as a child, he was disappointed with the space shuttles and rockets NASA produced; they were nothing like fantasy artists of the twenties and thirties had promised. His fascination with dragons originated with his childhood interest of dinosaurs, which can be seen in the book Greetings From Earth. His paintings are commissioned and bought at science fiction conventions, and used as book covers.
Eggleton has illustrated cards for the Magic: The Gathering collectible card game.
Eggleton received massive encouragement from his father, in the form of books, supplies, visits to museums of space and aeronautics and support during the career choices he made. Eggleton dropped out of his art college, because he felt it was not for him.
Eggleton is a fan of Godzilla and worked as a creative consultant on the American remake. While in Japan he appeared as an extra in one of the more recent films.
Awards, Honors and GoHships: Eggleton has been honored with the Hugo Award for Best Professional Artist eight times, first winning in 1994 when he famously flew to Winnipeg the morning after the Hugos were announced to accept in person. He has served for many years as one of the Gaughan Award judges.
- 1986 -- Boskone 23
- 1987 -- MisCon 2
- 1988 -- AggieCon XIX, Gaughan Award
- 1989 -- Rovacon 14
- 1990 -- Windycon XVII
- 1991 -- Ad Astra 11, NEcon 11
- 1993 -- Keycon 10, New Orleans SF & Fantasy Festival '93
- 1994 -- Rustycon 11, Artcon V
- 1995 -- Fellow of NESFA
- 1996 -- Deviant ConFusion, LepreCon 22, ArmadilloCon 18
- 1997 -- 1997 World Fantasy Convention, InConJunction XVII, Arisia '97, Baycon '97
- 1998 -- Con*Stellation XVII
- 1999 -- Lunacon 42, Chattacon XXIV, Chesley Award for Artistic Achievement, Skylark Award
- 2000 -- Chicon 2000, Loscon 27
- 2001 -- Albacon 2001, Norwescon XXIV, Best Related Book Hugo for Greetings From Earth
- 2002 -- WindyCon XXIX
- 2003 -- Asteroid 13562 named Bobeggleton
- 2004 -- MileHiCon 36
- 2005 -- Balticon 39, Astronomicon 2005
- 2006 -- 2BeContinued 5, Conzilla, CONduit 16 (unable to attend)
- 2007 -- ConDFW VI, CONduit 17
- 2008 -- MidSouthCon 26, Bubonicon 40
- 2010 -- Conestoga 14
- 2014 -- Philcon 2014
- 2016 -- Boskone 53 (NESFA Press)
- 2017 -- Lunacon 2017
|This is a biography page. Please extend it by adding more information about the person, such as fanzines and apazines published, awards, clubs, conventions worked on, GoHships, impact on fandom, external links, anecdotes, etc. See Standards for People and The Naming of Names.|