(July 3, 1926 – October 18, 1997)
William Rotsler, a prominent LA fan, artist, movie cameraman, and writer, was Fan GoH at Torcon II in 1973. From his disposition and build, he was nicknamed “The Amiable Bulldozer,” and he signed most of his art WR.
His most well-known contribution to fandom was as a cartoonist and fanartist, for which he won four Hugo Awards for Best Fan Artist in 1975, 1979, 1996, and 1997 as well as the 1946 Best Fan Artist Retro Hugo. He was nominated for the 1951 Best Fan Artist Retro Hugo. His highly-recognizable artwork, in a deceptively simple style developed when most fanzine art was hand-traced onto mimeograph stencil, was ubiquitous, since he was prolific and freely provided it.
He was a member of LASFS and was involved in the semi-serious Tijuana in '69 Westercon bid. He was a member of FAPA (and served as VP), was a member of the FATE Tape, and of OMPA. He was an editor of the Insurgent fanzine, Homage a' Burbee. His publishing house was Rose & Hawk Press.
He was also known for "Rotsler's Rules" for happy con-going, which included:
- If you kill it, you eat it. (a weapons policy)
- Don't go to bed with anyone crazier than yourself.
- No peanut butter. (a costuming rule)
- The shoes gotta match.
- There should be a weight limit for the purchase of leotards.
- No costume is no costume. (another costuming rule)
- Disturbing Element
- A Fanzine for FAPA (with John Trimble)
- Fumetti Report
- The John D. Macdonald Quotebook
- The Kong Papers (with Harlan Ellison)
- Kteic Magazine
- Masque (for FAPA)
- Normandie Notes (with Lee Jacobs)
- Rotsler's Rocks (1972)
- Son of the Tattooed Dragon
- Tapebook (for FAPA)
- The Tattooed Dragon [1958-75]
- Tropical Torcon Tales 
- Voyage [1969-82]
- Wild Hair (with F. T. Laney and Cyrus B. Condra)
- ZIUQ (with Jean Young and Jack Harness)
Awards, Honors and GoHships:
- 1973 -- Torcon II
- 1975 -- Best Fan Artist Hugo
- 1976 -- Bubonicon 8
- 1977 -- DUFF
- 1979 -- Best Fan Artist Hugo
- 1981 -- Loscon 8, Toastmaster at Aquacon I
- 1982 -- LepreCon 8
- 1983 -- LepreCon 9
- 1985 -- OryCon '85
- 1993 -- Silvercon 2
- 1996 -- Best Fan Artist Hugo, 1946 Best Fan Artist Retro Hugo, Past President of the Fan Writers of America
- 1997 -- Best Fan Artist Hugo, Loscon xxiv was held in his honor
|This is a biography page. Please extend it by adding more information about the person, such as fanzines and apazines published, awards, clubs, conventions worked on, GoHships, impact on fandom, external links, anecdotes, etc.|