(May 23, 1956 –)
Chicagoland fan, filker and conrunner Bill Roper co-founded Dodeka Records, a filk recording company, with his wife, Gretchen Roper. He received the Pegasus Award three times, and was inducted into the Filk Hall of Fame in 2000.
He chaired the Windycon science fiction convention three times as well as Whatcon and worked on Chicon IV, Chicon V, and Chicon 2000, the last as the head of the Exhibits Division. He was a member of ChUSFA (and its Bentley and editor of its Chimaeran Review) and the SIU Science Fiction Society (and a former President and editor of its Collapzine). He was a Thursday regular.
Roper is a longtime board member of ISFiC and since 2004, he has been the business manager for ISFiC Press. In 2012, he took over as publisher of the press. He and his wife also huckster at many conventions as The Secret Empire. He was a regular at Thursday.
Awards, Honors and GoHships:
- 1986 -- Perpetual ConFusion
- 1987 -- Pegasus Award for Best Schtick: "Unreality Warp/Kinda Mediocre Actually" (with Clif Flynt)
- 1988 -- OVFF 4, Pegasus Award for Best Filk Song: "Wind From Rainbow's End"
- 1989 -- ConChord 5
- 1990 -- ChambanaCon 20
- 1993 -- Conterpoint 1993
- 1995 -- DucKon 5
- 1997 -- OVFF 13
- 2000 -- Filk Hall of Fame
- 2002 -- ChambanaCon 32
- 2003 -- Capricon 23, OVFF 19, Pegasus Award for Best Original Humorous Song: "My Husband The Filker" (with Gretchen Roper)
- 2004 -- Sixteen Tones
- 2006 -- Consonance 2006
- 2008 -- FilKONtario 18 (Official Filk Waif)
- 2009 -- ConCertino 2009, GAFilk 11
- 2014 -- Boskone 51 (Featured Filker), Conjecture 2014 / ConChord 26
- 2016 -- Balticon 50
- 2019 -- DFDF 2019
|This is a biography page. Please extend it by adding more information about the person, such as fanzines and apazines published, awards, clubs, conventions worked on, GoHships, impact on fandom, external links, anecdotes, etc. See Standards for People and The Naming of Names.|