A Southern fandom con tradition in the ’70s was to go skinnydipping at midnight, and this tradition was followed at NorthAmericon. Unbeknownst to the swimmers, however, one wall of the pool featured portholes to the hotel bar. Drinkers probably were shocked sober by the sight of some of the fans swimming by.
One of the special features of the convention was a Friday night event of a fannish trip on the Belle of Louisville, a paddlewheel steamboat. One part of the event was a planned filk sing on the boat. Juanita Coulson achieved fannish immortality by Outsinging a Riverboat Whistle.
- Steve and Sue Francis' NorthAmericon '79 Reminiscence
- File 770 13, p. 13 (More on pre-con committee ructions.)
- File 770 17, p. 1 (A Columbus Cavalry view of it)
- File 770 18, p. 4 (Responses)
- File 770 20, p. 21 (More responses)
|This is a convention page. Please extend it by adding information about the convention, including dates, GoHs, convention chairman, locale, sponsoring organization, external links to convention pages, awards given, the program, notable events, anecdotes, pictures, scans of publications, pictures of T-shirts, con reports, etc.|