(November 20, 1923 – November 30, 2010)
Len and June helped organize many of the early Bouchercons, and in 1973 and in 1999, they received a Lifetime Achievement Award from Bouchercon, the couple were the Eastbound TAFF delegates (their trip report was The Moffatt House Abroad). Dave Locke and Ed Cox published Unabashed Plug in support of their candidacy.
He was a member of the the Western Pennsylvania Science Fictioneers and the Portland Science Fiction Society. He joined LASFS on April 16, 1946, and was one of the founding members of the Outlanders and The Petards. He belonged to SCIFI, Apa-L, the D.R.E.G.S of L.A. Fandom, He was an associate member of the First Fandom club, the Burroughs Bibliophiles, the Blustering Gales of the SW, and the Curious Collectors of Baker Street. When Len was a member of N3F, he edited the 1950 Fan Directory, sponsored by the N3F and the Fantasy Foundation. He was one of the original members of CAPA in 1961.
Moffatt had a couple of short fiction pieces appear in the 1950s and also sold science fiction poetry. One of his stories, "Father's Vampire," originally published in Weird Tales, was reprinted in genre anthologies, including 100 Creepy Little Creature Stories (1994).
In World War II, he was a Navy Corpsman (medic) in the Pacific. Later, he worked for a manufacturer of cardboard packaging.
- Tribute in The National Fantasy Fan (March 2011).
- GoH speech] from Westercon 25 in Dynatron 50 (September 1972, p. 3).
- Bibliography at ISFDB.
- “LASFS Alive at 75! A Dialog in Verse and Prose” (reminiscence) by Len and June Moffatt (archived).
- Around the World in ??? Days 
- The Asteroid 
- Button Tack: The Rick Sneary Memorial Fanzine  (with June Moffatt and John Hertz
- A Flash of Blue (with June Moffatt for Dapa-Em)
- The JDM Bibliophile [1965-2004] (with June Moffatt and Ed Hirshberg)
- JDM Master Checklist  (with June Moffatt)
- Len's Den (for CAPA)
- Moonshine [1942-89] (first as a fanzine then later for FAPA with several other fans)
- Moonshade [early 60s] (for Shadow, with Rick Sneary)
- Outlander Magazine [1949-52] (two issues)
- Selected Writings of Rick Sneary  (with June Moffatt)
- Shadow Mailing
- Stellar Tales [early 40s]
- Science Fiction Parade [1956-62]
- Spiane [mid-60s] (for FAPA with June Moffatt and Rick Sneary)
Awards, Honors and GoHships:
- 1951 -- Fanquet
- 1972 -- Westercon 25
- 1973 -- TAFF
- 1981 -- Loscon 8
- 1985 -- Bouchercon 16
- 1994 -- Evans-Freehafer Award
- 1997 -- Tra-La-La Con
- 1999 -- Bouchercon Lifetime Achievement Award
- 2004 -- Forry Award
- 2018 -- First Fandom Posthumous Hall of Fame
|This is a biography page. Please extend it by adding more information about the person, such as fanzines and apazines published, awards, clubs, conventions worked on, GoHships, impact on fandom, external links, anecdotes, etc. See Standards for People and The Naming of Names.|