(July 8, 1945 – September 25, 2015)
Don West, who used a byline of only his first initial, was a fan artist and fan writer known for his mordant sense of humor and dry wit. He was a "Yorkshire lad" who was "skinny as a lath, with a straggly beard and usually a roll-up."
His work appeared in numerous fanzines and he won the Nova Award for Best Fan Artist eleven times between 1984 and 2014 as well as the Nova for Best Fan Writer in 1987. In 2011, he declined the Rotsler Award, claiming Bill Rotsler did “harm” by “artistic dumbing-down” and that he didn’t care to be associated with him.
Awards, Honors and GoHships:
- 1979 -- Best Fan Writer Hugo nominee
- 1987 -- Nova Award for Best Fan Writer, Best Fan Writer Hugo nominee
- 1999 -- Best Fan Artist Hugo nominee
- 2010 -- Past president of the FWA
- 2011 -- Rotsler Award (West declined the award)
- 11 Nova Awards for Best Fan Artist between 1984 and 2014
- 4 FAAn Awards.
|This is a biography page. Please extend it by adding more information about the person, such as fanzines and apazines published, awards, clubs, conventions worked on, GoHships, impact on fandom, external links, anecdotes, etc.|