ConFederation, the 44th Worldcon, was held August 28–September 1, 1986, at the Marriott Marquis and Atlanta Hilton. The GoH was Ray Bradbury, and the FGoH was Terry Carr. Bob Shaw was toastmaster. It was chaired by: Penny Frierson and Ron Zukowski.
In bidding to hold the 1986 Worldcon, the winning bid committee was Atlanta in '86 and the competition was New York in '86 and Philadelphia in '86. See 1986 Worldcon Site Selection.
1986 Hugos, 1988 Worldcon Site Selection, 1989 Worldcon Site Selection.
Site Selection was unusual in that there were two simultaneous races, for the 1988 Worldcon and for the 1989 Worldcon, due to a switch from 2-year lead time to a 3-year lead time. The race for 1988 had as bidders St. Louis in '88, Yugoslavia in '88, and New Orleans in '88 which won the right to hold Nolacon II. The race for 1989 had as bidders New York in 1989 and Boston in '89, which won the right to hold Noreascon 3.
See also Woodstockcon
Reports and Articles:
- ConFederation publications and photos on fanac.org
- Dave Kyle's ConFederation reminiscence.
- Ron Zukowski on Confederation audio
- File 770 57, p. 3 (shakeups and shudders during planning)
- File 770 57, p. 9 (strange Hucksters' Room practices)
- File 770 61, p. 2 (con report by Mike Glyer, part 1)
- File 770 62, p. 2 (con report by Mike Glyer, part 2)
- File 770 64, p. 14 (on rumors about how they will spend their profit)
|Aussiecon II||Worldcon - Bidding - Hugos||Conspiracy '87|
|This is a convention page. Please extend it by adding information about the convention, including dates, GoHs, convention chairman, locale, sponsoring organization, external links to convention pages, awards given, the program, notable events, anecdotes, pictures, scans of publications, pictures of T-shirts, con reports, etc.|