Presented September 7, 1953 at Philcon II.
This was the first year the Hugos were presented, and there was no shortlist of nominations nor was there a vote of the membership. It appears that the award was initially thought of as a one-time thing awarded by the committee.
- Best Novel: The Demolished Man by Alfred Bester
- Best Professional Magazine (tie): Astounding Science Fiction ed. by John W. Campbell, Jr. and Galaxy ed. by H. L. Gold.
- Best Cover Artist Hugo (tie): Hannes Bok and Ed Emshwiller
- Best Interior Illustrator Hugo: Virgil Finlay
- 1953 Excellence in Fact Articles Hugo: Willy Ley
- Best New SF Author or Artist Hugo: Philip José Farmer
- 1953 #1 Fan Personality Hugo: Forrest J Ackerman
Also involved: - 1951 Retro Hugos - 1953 Hugo - 1953 Hugo Awards - 1953-hugo - 1953-hugo-awards - 1953-hugo-results - 1953-retro-hugo-results - Hugo Award - List of Hugo categories - List of Hugos
|This is an award page. If you know something about it, such as who awarded it, who the winners were, what the criteria were, and when it was awarded, please add it!|