(July 23, 1914 – January 18, 1971)
Virgil Warden Finlay, an American pro artist, was best known for his detailed pen-and-ink drawings accomplished with abundant stippling, cross-hatching, and scratchboard techniques. He was occasionally known by the demolishism "/ Finlay" (Virgule Finlay).
- Entry in The Encyclopedia of Science Fiction.
- Entry at PulpArtists.com.
- Entry at Find-a-Grave.
- Finlay at the Korshak Collection.
- Reminiscence by daughter Lail Finlay Hernandez.
Awards, Honors and GoHships:
- 1950 -- N3F Laureate Award for Best Professional Artist
- 1953 -- Best Interior Illustrator Hugo
- 1964 -- 1964 Open ESFA
- 1970 -- First Fandom Hall of Fame
- 1996 -- 1946 Best Professional Artist Retro Hugo
- 2012 -- Science Fiction Hall of Fame
- 2015 -- Society of Illustrators Hall of Fame
- 2016 -- 1941 Best Professional Artist Retro Hugo
- 2018 -- 1943 Best Professional Artist Retro Hugo
- 2019 -- 1944 Best Professional Artist Retro Hugo
- 10 other Hugo nominations
|This is a biography page. Please extend it by adding more information about the person, such as fanzines and apazines published, awards, clubs, conventions worked on, GoHships, impact on fandom, external links, anecdotes, etc. See Standards for People and The Naming of Names.|