(June 24, 1950 – )
Mercedes “Misty” Lackey is an author of fantasy novels and a filk songwriter. Many of her novels are interlinked and set in the world of Velgarth, mostly in and around the country of Valdemar. Her Valdemar novels form a complex tapestry of interaction between human and non-human protagonists with many different cultures and social mores.
Her other main world is one much like our own, but it includes clandestine populations of elves, mages, vampires, and other mythical beings. Her "Bedlam's Bard" books describe a young man with the power to work incredible magic through music; and her "Diana Tregarde" books center on a Wiccan who combats evil.
She has collaborated with her husband, author Larry Dixon (m. 1992), as well as Eric Flint and Dave Freer. As a songwriter, she collaborated with Leslie Fish.
She won multiple Pegasus Awards in the 1980s and she won a Lambda Literary Award in 1991 for her novel Magic's Price. She was special guest at the World Fantasy Convention 2012 and DSC 29.
Awards, Honors and GoHships:
- 1987 -- OVFF 3
- 1991 -- Dreamcon 6, Contradiction 11, Lambda Literary Award, DeepSouthCon 29
- 1992 -- ICON 17, Rivercon XVII, Chattacon XVII, Crackercon 1992, Keycon 9
- 1994 -- Balticon 28
- 2001 -- Odyssey Con
- 2003 -- Con*Stellation XXII
- 2004 -- ShowMeCon 2
- 2006 -- Swancon 2006
- 2009 -- Lunacon 52, Baycon 2009 (unable to attend due to illness)
- 2010 -- Baycon 2010 (Special Guest)
- 2011 -- Ad Astra 30
- 2012 -- World Fantasy Convention 2012
- 2016 -- World Fantasy Convention 2016
- 2017 -- RavenCon 12, InConJunction XXXVII
- 2020 -- CoNZealand
- 2021 -- SFWA Grand Master
- multiple Pegasus Awards
|This is a biography page. Please extend it by adding more information about the person, such as fanzines and apazines published, awards, clubs, conventions worked on, GoHships, impact on fandom, external links, anecdotes, etc. See Standards for People and The Naming of Names.|