AKA PNH, a US fan and pro editor for Tor. Born Patrick Hayden, he changed his last name to "Nielsen Hayden" when he married Teresa Nielsen. He is primarily known as a long-time fan (and co-publisher of the important fannish blog, Making Light) who is Senior Editor and Manager of Science Fiction at Tor Books. In addition, he has been a fanzine publisher, conrunner, reviewer, and anthologist.
He became active in fandom in Phoenix in the mid-70s. He continued in Toronto and Seattle, before moving to New York City in the 80s to work professionally in publishing where he joined Tor Books. In the late 70s, he was one of the small group of core fans on the Iguanacon committee for which he ran Programming. He won TAFF in 1985 along with Teresa.
He was quite active on the Usenet groups rec.arts.sf.* in the 90s. Starting in July 2000 he wrote a blog Electrolite until it was incorporated into his wife's blog Making Light in May 2005, where he now writes along with her.
He has published or co-published the following fanzines and apazines: Again, Derelict Defenestration, Telos, Izzard, Life Sentence, Twibbet 7, Oxymoron, Taffluvia, The Portable Carl Brandon, Science Fiction Five Yearly, GoshWow, Thangorodrim!, Tweek, Ecce Fanno, Cacciatore, Telos, Zed, Subliminal Verity, Flash Point, It's Only Talk, Tetrazinni, and Fanthology 1981.
- APA-L — Sing Ye Now the Praises of CorFlu
- AZAPA — The Bird Is Cruel
- MISHAP —Unbelievably Droll..., Jinxed
- RAPS — Scream/Leap
He was on the Executive Council of Minicon 34 and a founder of AZAPA, OASIS (APA), and Babble-17. He worked on programming for early Fourth Street Fantasy conventions. He was one of the founders of shortfastalkinghyperfandom.
He is a regular instructor at the science fiction writing workshop Viable Paradise, and has taught at both Clarion and Clarion West. The Nielsen Haydens' small press is Ansatz Press. In 1988, he was one of the founding editors of The New York Review of Science Fiction. He left the magazine after several issues.
- Nominated in the Best Professional Editor and Best Editor Long Form Hugo categories in 1997, 1999, 2000, 2002, and 2007-2010, winning in 2007, 2010 and 2013.
- In 1989 he was one of the nominees for Best Semiprozine for The New York Review of Science Fiction
- 1986 and 1987 he was a nominee for Best Fan Writer
- in 1984 he was co-nominee, with Teresa Nielsen Hayden, Izzard as Best Fanzine
- in 1995 he was editor of Teresa's Making Book which was nominated as Best Non Fiction Book
Other Awards, Honors and GoHships:
- 1986 — Not-a-D-Con
- 1987 — SFC Award for Best Fanzine for Izzard
- 1989 — Honored Guest at Minicon 24
- 1991 — Westercon 44
- 1993 — Sci-Con 1993
- 1994 — Boskone 31
- 1996 — Armadillocon 18
- 1997 — Minicon 32, Orycon 19, SFC Award for Best Editor, World Fantasy Award for Best Anthology
- 1998 — Fellow of NESFA
- 1999 — Arisia 10
- 2000 — WindyCon XXVII
- 2002 — Toastmaster at ConQuesT 33
- 2003 — Skylark Award
- 2004 — Ad Astra 2004
- 2005 — Capclave 2005, ConDFW IV
- 2009 — Toastmaster at Fiestacon
- 2010 — SFContario 1
- 2011 — "Super Secret Guest" at GAFilk 2011
- 2012 — "ConCom's Choice at GAFilk 2012
More on his career at http://www.sf-encyclopedia.com/entry/nielsen_hayden_patrick