Presented September 7, 1953, at Philcon II.
These were the First Hugos ever presented, and there was no shortlist of nominations nor was there a vote of the membership. It appears that the award was presented by the committee. They were called the Science Fiction Achievement Awards and were announced in Philcon II's PR 3. They seem to have hoped that the SFAA would become a permanent award, since they called them the "First Annual". (The following Worldcon, SFCon did not award the Hugos in 1954, but the Clevention did in 1955 and that made them a Hallowed Tradition.)
- Best Novel: The Demolished Man by Alfred Bester
- Best Professional Magazine (tie): Astounding Science Fiction ed. by John W. Campbell, Jr. and Galaxy ed. by H. L. Gold.
- Best Cover Artist (tie): Hannes Bok and Ed Emshwiller
- Best Interior Illustrator: Virgil Finlay
- Excellence in Fact Articles: Willy Ley
- Best New SF Author or Artist: Philip José Farmer
- #1 Fan Personality: Forrest J Ackerman
|This is an award page. If you know something about it, such as who awarded it, who the winners were, what the criteria were, and when it was awarded, please add it! See Standards for Awards.|