(16 February 1922 -- 27 December 2011)
He was active in fandom from 1941 when he discovered LASFS, attended Denvention, and co-edited Fantascience Digest with Bob Madle. Starting in 1942, he published Nebula with Larry Shaw. He was president of PSFS and then a director of the N3F. He attended the Pacificon.
He started huckstering old prozines at Baycon in 1968 and was one of the founders of Pulpcon. He won DUFF in 1975, and chaired the (losing, alas!) Detroit in '82 Worldcon bid. He was a member of FAPA (at least three times!).
Along with Gay Haldeman, he often participated in panels for neos such as "How to Enjoy Your First Convention." Just before PgHLANGE VIII in 1976 he shaved off his beard. Someone put up a survey in the dealers room door asking whether people preferred him with or without the beard. The "grow the beard back" respondents won by a landslide. He was the recipient of the Hevelin to Holland fan fund in 1990.
His collection of fanzines was purchased by the University of Iowa, who are digitizing the fanzines coordinating a transcription project using volunteer labor.
- Fantascience Digest
- H-1661 [1960-61] (for FAPA)
- Laundry Mark (for FAPA)
- Nebula [early 40s] (some issues)
- Pulp Advertiser & Collector 
- The Rider 
Awards, Honors and GoHships:
- 1975 -- DUFF
- 1976 -- PgHLANGE VIII
- 1978 -- ChambanaCon 8, Archon II, Anokon 1?
- 1979 -- ICON 4
- 1980 -- ConFusion 6 and/or 7
- 1981 -- Denvention Two
- 1982 -- ICON 7
- 1983 -- Rivercon VIII, Con*Stellation II
- 1985 -- Toastmaster at Con*Tretemps 4
- 1986 -- Con*Stellation V, Big Heart Award, Lamont Award
- 1990 -- InConJunction X, Hevelin to Holland
- 1992 -- Hardwired ConFusion
- 1994 -- MInicon 29
- 1998 -- ChambanaCon 28
- 2003 -- Sam Moskowitz Archive Award
- 2004 -- DemiCon 15
- 2011 -- Archon 35
- 2012 -- Posthumous First Fandom Hall of Fame
- Toastmaster at around twenty DemiCons and ICONs in Iowa
Rusty Hevelin, about 1989. Photo courtesy Curt Phillips
|Person||Reasonator Search Files 1922—2011|
|Also involved with:|
|This is a biography page. Please extend it by adding more information about the person, such as fanzines and apazines published, awards, clubs, conventions worked on, GoHships, impact on fandom, external links, anecdotes, etc.|