Jump to navigation Jump to search
This is a first draft detailed migration plan for moving Fancylopedia from Wikidot to Mediawiki.
Prep of Wikidot
- DONE Do a full backup of Wikidot. This will be the base version of Fancy to be ported.
- Continue to track changes on Wikidot, as they will need to be replicated on Mediawiki. This will be done by hand by Mark.
- DONE Find and fix explicit redirects to missing pages, especially different versions of peoples' names where there's no page for the person.
- DONE Fix:
- DONE Uncategorized files
- DONE Wanted Pages [Let's drop this. It made a lot more sense when major pages were still missing.]
- DONE Broken redirects
- DONE Double redirects
- DONE Images
Prep of MediaWiki site
- DONE We will use HTTP, not HTTPS
- Add specialized copyright notice. Creative Commons? [mlo]
- DONE Need to create logo [mlo]
- DONE Make sure robots.txt is set to allow indexing.
- Other standard wiki pages (About, etc.) [mlo]
- DONE Edit special404 page? GIVE UP ON THIS JRB
- DONE Document admin procedures in Admin
- DONE Create a list of all users with Wikidot IDs and email addresses where known
- DONE Notify users a week or so in advance of the planned move [mlo]
- Tell them what (if anything) we will do for them. (Is there anything?)
- Note that we don't have email addresses for around a third of our users, but we do have them for all of the large users and most of the more recent ones.
- Offer to manually add productive users with this
- Send Wikidot messages to the users we don't have emails for
- DONE Edit the welcome page at Wikidot to announce the move [mlo]
- Explain why the move
- DONE Write a MediaWiki for Wikidot users FAQ [mlo] Part of How to Edit Pages
Review of test move
- DONE Review the test move in light of the sed scripts
- Use http://wiki.fancy-test.com
- We're looking for conversion bugs
- DONE Do we know how to make fanacylopedia.org point to the new site?
- DONE Are there any Mediawiki features we want to turn off? Discussions? - Only files of the common ones. Discussions would be an extension.
- DONE Document process for vetting and adding users. How to Join
- DONE Add text to every wikidot page advising of the move
- Remove access between fancyclopedia and johnbray/mlo users. Can't see how to do this now. Not important. jrb
- Remove existing users from Wikidot site
- Is there some way to detect users who follow links of the form fancyclopedia.wikidot.com/page?
- Consider making Wikidot site entirely private
- Do search for links of the form fancyclopedia.wikidot.com/page and, where appropriate, try to get them changed. Fanac search (notified)
- Add list of editors' real names
- Rewrite Python programs
- Advertise to the world how Fancy3 is so much better
- Categories with subsections
- Auto-completion of entry names
- 'Also involved'
- Inconsistencies in layout/naming removed
- Stronger, more popular platform. Now hosted free!
- Better pages showing entry problems
- Navigation between linked pages using powerful toolbars
- Customised 'fannish search'
- DONE New backup routine - Use Installation wiki database command
- DONE Figure out how to let people upload files
- Decision: Send them to us
- How do we publicize this? Add to How_to_Edit_Pages
- Create Google Drive/Dropbox accounts
- DONE Decide on allowing use of wysisyg editor - Lets not until later
- DONE Deal with files from Wikidot which are not being moved. (Look at file sent by JB.) [mlo]