John's first con of any type was AussieCon One in 1975.
John also attended AussieCon Three (with parents and wife in tow), and AussieCon Four (SM for the Hugos), making him one of a smallish number of people to have attended all four Australian Worldcons. He joined the CoNZealand bid at AussieCon IV.
He is probably best known within Fandom for developing a formal worldcon approach to video at conventions, and has acted as video producer and/or director for many Worldcon Masquerade and Hugo Ceremonies. He directed the "Garcia Moment" video clip (Renovation, 2011) which was nominated for the 2012 Best Dramatic Presentation, Short Form Hugo.
John will be Tech Division Head for CoNZealand in 2020.
He is an active member of the TechnoFandom collective.
John regards Fandom and Cons as having contributed substantially to his life in the mundane world:
- development of video engineering and operational skills, which underpinned involvement with the Society of Motion Picture and Television Engineers (SMPTE)
- experience building and running teams (he's been heard to say "if you can manage volunteers you can manage anything")
- creation of a global network of friends
- an oblique set of circumstances which led to his marriage to a fellow Fan
Arguably much of this would not have happened - and certainly not as strongly - without the experience and learnings from Worldcon involvement.
Awards, Honors and GoHships:
- 2006 -- Hero of the Con at LACon IV
- 2018 -- [*https://www.cbaa.org.au/awards/michael-law-award Michael Law Award] for contribution to Community Broadcasting in Australia
- 2006 -- [*https://www.smpte.org/smpte-fellows Fellow] of the SMPTE
Stories which were most influential: And He Built a Crooked House and Mimsy were the Borogoves
|Also involved with:|
|This is a biography page. Please extend it by adding more information about the person, such as fanzines and apazines published, awards, clubs, conventions worked on, GoHships, impact on fandom, external links, anecdotes, etc.|